Winter Fire Safety Tips
The winter season is just around the corner which means that home fires occur more often by unattended candles, space heaters, wood stoves and fireplaces.
At SERVPRO of S. San Rafael/Sausalito, we want to remind everyone to take simple steps to protect their homes and family from the danger of household hazards and heating equipment. Practicing the best fire safety is how you can be most prepared for unexpected disaster in the winter.
Here are some fire safety tips to prevent most heating related fires from happening:
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heating equipment, like the furnace, fireplace, wood stove, or portable space heater.
- Have your chimneys and vents checked. If you light fires frequently, you need a chimney sweep service once a year.
- Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room.
- Test smoke alarms. Make sure batteries are fresh. Place smoke alarms in the kitchen, laundry room and in bedrooms.
- Beware of lit candles. Candles can set the mood for relaxation, and that's how they get forgotten or knocked over by kids or pets.
- Beware of space heaters. Like fireplaces, people and pets should not be allowed to sit any closer than three feet.
- Don't put space heaters near curtains, tablecloths or other fluttering fabrics.
- Make sure the space heaters you buy have automatic shut-offs before reaching dangerous temperatures.
If you have the unfortunate experience of fire or smoke damage in your home or business call SERVPRO of S. San Rafael/Sausalito!
We are available 24 hours a day and are always Here to Help! Have Questions? Call Us Today – (415) 479-2900