Prevent Wind and Storm Damage in Your Larkspur Home
Preventing Storm and Wind Damage
Preventing Wind and Storm Damage
Taking the proper precautions are feasible steps you can take when strong winds are approaching. Your home is one of your most significant investments, so it is a good idea to take measures to prevent the dangers that high winds can inflict on your home and avoid any potential storm damage restoration. When events such as windstorms happen, there is added weight applied to structures, and if there are weak points in your home, they may break down and contribute to damage. Your roof, doors, and windows are direct points of weakness that are susceptible to damage. however, by taking simple safety measures, you may be bale to save a bunch of time and money following a storm. Mother nature cannot be controlled, but you can follow steps to help keep her from causing substantial damage during storm season.
Prepare a Home Maintenance Checklist
To prevent damage from high-speed winds, it is vital to regularly check the stability of your property and look for potential hazards to avoid costly wind and flood cleanup. To start, build a maintenance checklist of items that require fixing or replacement.
- Inspect and replace any sign of loose and missing shingles.
- Check your chimneys, skylights, and vents for potential damage or cracks.
- Unblock and repair loose gutters.
- Be aware of rot and hidden damage to tree trunks and branches.
- Frequently prune and trim your trees.
- Hire a professional to get rid of any dead or unstable trees.
- Clear away dead branches from your property that may be on the ground.
- Secure items that can become loose during damage events like toys, pots, planters, and garden tools.
- Check that your fences are in stable condition.
- Make sure that your garden shed is appropriately secured.
- Ensure that water is being drained away from your property to prevent severe wind and flood damage restoration.
Home Exterior and Interior
- Ensure that windowpanes show no cracking and that windows and doors are properly secured in a close-right position.
- Make locks for your windows and doors work properly.
- Remove unconstrained screens from windows.
- Think about getting storm shutters installed.
- Check your garage door to make sure it can bear the brunt of heavy winds.
- Consider installing a bracing kit to assist in protecting your garage door and personal belongings within your garage.
What to Do After a Windstorm
- Stay safe by avoiding any downed power lines or flooded areas.
- Evaluate the damage caused to your home and take intensive photos if possible.
- Contact your insurance provider for immediate guidance.
- Call a restoration company like SERVPRO of S. San Rafael/Sausalito to assess wind cleanup and restoration.
- Contact SERVPRO to provide water or sewage damage cleanup caused by storms.
In the case of wind damage to your home or business, it is best to contact a storm damage restoration professional immediately when the storm ends. This will mitigate and repair the damage before it takes a turn for the worse, costing you more time and money. SERVPRO of S. San Rafael/Sausalito is ready for any sized disaster and responds instantly to storm and flooding events. Our rapid response time helps ward off secondary damage and helps reduce restoration costs.