If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (415) 479-2900

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How Do I Restore My San Rafael Home After a Grease Fire?

8/4/2021 (Permalink)

Smoke damaged kitchen This San Rafael home had a grease fire, which caused smoke damage to the entire unit and needed heavy cleaning to walls, floors, and ceilings.

Watch What You Heat In Your San Rafael Home

Cooking can be a calming but dealing with a cooking fire is always a stressful experience. However, SERVPRO of S. San Rafael/Sausalito is here to help offer steps to take during and after a grease fire. When dealing with a grease fire stay calm and remember these dos and don’ts for dealing with this kind of event.

  1. Don’t use water to extinguish a grease fire.

Pouring water on a grease fire, unlike most other flames, will exacerbate the situation. Water, rather than extinguishing the flame, will distribute the burning oil, spreading the fire.

  1. Don’t use flour or sugar to extinguish grease fires.

Flour and sugar are also flammable, thus throwing them on a grease fire will simply add to the fire’s intensity.

  1. Don’t Use a Water-Based Extinguisher

A fire extinguisher is required in every kitchen, but not just any extinguisher will suffice. Pouring water on a grease fire has the same negative results as a water-based fire extinguisher.

  1. Don’t Take the Fire Outside with You

It is extremely risky to carry a pan with a grease fire outside. The hot grease could spill, causing injury to the carrier or spreading the fire to other parts of the house.

When confronted with a grease fire, what should you do?

  1. Turn off the stove

Switch off the stove right away. Turn off your main gas or power source if the controls are unreachable due to flames.

  1. Use a Metal Lid

A lid placed over a flaming pan will deprive it of oxygen, thereby extinguishing the fire. If you don’t have a metal cover, a metal baking sheet will do. If the lid doesn’t entirely cover the flames, the oxygen may still be available. To ensure the flames have extinguished, leave the lid on for at least a few minutes. Lids made of glass or plastic are not suited for putting out a grease fire.

  1. Apply Salt or Baking Soda to Extinguish the Flames

A flame can be smothered by pouring salt or baking soda on it. Depending on the size of the flame, the amount of baking soda or salt required will vary. Baking soda should not be substituted with baking powder or flour.

  1. Grab a Class B Flame Extinguisher

A grease fire is best put out with a class B dry fire extinguisher. Stand back when using the extinguisher to avoid getting burned by the hot grease or flames.

When Do You Call in a Professional?

Go outdoors and call the fire department if baking soda or a class B extinguisher fails to work. Call a water and fire damage restoration company to begin the clean-up process once the fire is out and the fire department have given you permission to enter the building.

SERVPRO of S. San Rafael/Sausalito can assist you in getting back to clean, whether you have a huge fire or an odor that won’t go away after a burning dinner. Give us a call today at (415) 479-2900.

Other News

View Recent Posts