Top Causes of Fires in Your San Rafael Home
An accidental fire can spread uncontrollably in seconds and destroy property in minutes. House fires put everyone in danger, even tiny fires that are quickly extinguished can make your pockets hurt. Having the right insurance coverage in place can help lessen the financial burden caused by a house fire, but it's far preferable to avoid the situations that cause fires in the first place.
SERVPRO of S. San Rafael/Sausalito can help with cleanup and content storage after a fire in your home or business. We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to assist with any-sized disaster. The NFPA has listed the top five causes of house fires and how to prevent them.
#1: Cooking Related Fires
The most common cause of a house fire is a cooking accident. But, according to the National Fire Protection Association, unsupervised cooking is the most significant cause of home fires. Home fires are frequently caused by grease that overheats on a stove or oven. This is because grease is highly combustible, and when it reaches a particular temperature, it spontaneously combusts. Unfortunately, once the oil has ignited, putting it out can be a difficult task. So, when you're cooking, stay in the kitchen.
#2: Heating Appliances
The use of HVAC systems increases dramatically during the winter months. Heating appliances are the second greatest cause of home fires. If curtains, clothes, blankets, fabrics, and furniture touch space heaters or baseboard heaters, they might spark a fire. Keep portable heaters at least three feet away from anything that could catch fire and avoid using them to dry shoes or garments.
#3: Electrical Fires
Faulty wiring is one risk that many homeowners ignore. Short circuits and overloading are standard in older electrical systems. The majority of modern, professionally installed electrical systems are safe and contain built-in safety mechanisms. It's a good idea to have your wiring checked out by a professional electrician, especially if you live in an older home. Never attempt electrical repairs or improvements unless you are familiar with the principles of electricity and have prior experience doing so.
When you smoke in your home, cigarette butts can create fires if they fall on carpeting, furniture, or other flammable materials. It's better to keep smoking out of the bedroom since a butt can be lit for hours. If you need to smoke, do so outside, or smoke over a sink with an ashtray to lessen the fire risk.
In the United States, candles are another significant source of house fires. Most candle-related home fires are caused by negligence. It is never a good idea to leave a candle unattended. Candles powered by electricity or batteries can also help reduce the danger of house fires caused by candles.
If your home or business has been affected by smoke or fire damage, SERVPRO of S. San Rafael/Sausalito has the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your property. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care. Give us a call at (415) 479-2900, and we can start making it "Like it never even happened."